gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Galileo

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Galileo
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 15:37:19 -0800

Yo Paul!

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 20:59:06 +0000
Paul <address@hidden> wrote:

>  > Easy:  "killall -9 gpsd"
>
> The darned thing is unstoppable!

Ouch...

> I can only do so much
> at a time with systemd,

And now you know why I eliminated systemd from my life.  You can too,
ask me how.

>  > >   stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 -echo
>  > The '-echo' not needed,
>
> I find that without turning off echo, the serial port reflects
> the incoming NMEA back to the u-blox which then complains
> about unrecognised commands.

Odd, must be that minicom handles that for me.  Which is one reason
I recommend minicom.

>  > Much more.  BeiDou, QZSS, etc.
>
> Indeed but I think only at most three GNSS networks at
> a time.

Nope.  Much more complicated than that.  I suggest reading section 4
of the u-blox M8 receiver description manual.  Also look at the notes
for UBX-CFG-GNSS.  Part of the confusion is that you need to allocate
receiver resources between the different GNSS, and you only have so many
of them to go around.

Another complication is that GLONASS is not on the same frequency as GPS.
GALILEO is on the same frequency as GPS, but needs a wider bandwidth, so
many GPS antennas will not work with GALILEO.

And then some u-blox resellers tweak the firware defaults in odd ways
to 'help' the consumer.

> Yes you definitely need to save the settings after enabling
> the three GNSS and setting protocol 4.1: gpsd doesn't do
> that for you - I think that's a good policy, I wouldn't want
> gpsd second-guessing and overriding my settings.

Which is in conflict with gpsd just 'doing the right thing'.  So
gpsd does a bit of both, unless you use the -b option.

> To save the settings: UBX-CFG-CFG (0x06 0x09) with saveMask
> field set to 0x61f, works for me.

I've not been so lucky...  much to explore in there...

That does not save the sensor, log or FTS configuration.  Which
are likely not important to you.

> I think that when the u-blox is set up correctly for the three
> networks and you can see GAGSV in the NMEA and your settings
> are saved, gpsd is sure to be using the full solution.

Better yet to use u-blox native binary.  Much info is list with NMEA
only.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588