Making guile-gtk-1.2 stable?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Making guile-gtk-1.2 stable?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:11:11 +0200

Hi,

I just updated the web pages a bit for guile-gtk-1.2, and I said that
"guile-gtk-1.2 is intended to be stable".  Would you agree that this a
proper characterization?  Do we want to keep guile-gtk-1.2 stable?

Stability was one of the original goals why we removed all traces of
Gnome and Gtk+ 2.0 from guile-gtk and renamed it to guile-gtk-1.2: so
that people using it would not be disturbed by the Gtk+ 2.0 teething
pains.

Are we sufficiently happy with the guile-gtk-1.2 API so that we can
promise to keep it backwards compatible?  Which things need to be
worked out?

I am thinking of the recent change to gdk-gc-set-clipping-rectangle,
for example.  It _could_ have been done in backwards compatible way,
but that wouldn't be as elegant as the current way.  I'm inclined to
add this backwards compatability...  What do you say, is that
worthwhile?

(Together we a stable API, I would like to put guile-gtk-1.2 into
Debian.)