Re: Making guile-gtk-1.2 stable?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Making guile-gtk-1.2 stable?
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:14:35 +0200

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Kevin Ryde wrote:

> I've been using the guile-gtk-1.2 branch because it worked and because
> I was playing with the gdk level stuff.  I don't actually mind whether
> it's this stuff or the -gobject stuff which is the basis for going
> forward, though it seems slightly silly to keep both.

Agreed that it's silly to keep both, and certainly if you had work to do
going with the 1.3 branch of guile-gtk wasn't going to get you anywhere.
GDK also requires more attention to wrap than GTK just because it's not
as object-oriented.

> The only thing I'm not especially keen on is the goops in -gobject.
> Maybe I only need to shown the light, but I'd probably prefer to use
> it with just the plain functions (which is already possible I guess,
> but I mean without loading up all the goops bits).

If what you want are just the plain functions, just load up (gnome gtk
gw-gtk). That's just the functions, although I don't know what's changed
from when Andreas started working on decreasing load times.

I guess it's obvious I like working with the goops side of things. The
difference between the two programming styles is shown in the difference
between hello.scm and hello-generics.scm in the examples dir. Where the
object integration really gets powerful is when you're making your own
objects (my preferred style of GTK development), as in the
tic-tac-toe.scm that's there. But ultimately if you don't like that it
would probably be possible to just load up the functional API...

That goops is at the heart of the representation of widgets, etc
probably can't be hidden. Not that there's any need for that, IMO. I
imagine the thing that's bothering you are the generic functions and not
the objects themselves, so no problem.

Regards,

wingo.