Re: Making guile-gtk-1.2 stable?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Making guile-gtk-1.2 stable?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:19:57 +0200

Hullo,

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> I just updated the web pages a bit for guile-gtk-1.2,

It looks nice. Maybe we can start attracting more users now... Do you
think we can link to applications that use the bindings, for promotion
value?

> and I said that "guile-gtk-1.2 is intended to be stable". Would you
> agree that this a proper characterization? Do we want to keep
> guile-gtk-1.2 stable?

I'm not really a stakeholder here -- it would certainly be an asset,
though... for guile-gobject (which perhaps should be renamed
guile-gtk-2.0, for clarity? or should the gtk bindings split from the
gobject bindings at some point? This profusion of names is confusing) we
probably won't be there until something like a 1.0 is released, which is
probably quite a ways away...

> (Together we a stable API, I would like to put guile-gtk-1.2 into
> Debian.)

I would really like guile-gobject in debian sometime soon (within a
month or two), even with an API that's more slushy than stable. We could
guarantee stability along minor versions, but again a 1.0 is a ways
away...

Having guile-gobject packaged would allow projects that use the bindings
to be installed more easily, such as the gstreamer guile bindings or any
application that would want to use those bindings. In that line, I'd
also like to call for someone with the knowledge to create and maintain
Red Hat packages of guile-gtk.

Let's make it easy for people to choose Guile Scheme by providing
easily-installable packages.

Thoughts?

wingo.