guix-devel

Re: Self-contained Guix tarball

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Self-contained Guix tarball
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:18:51 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> guix archive copies via ssh it appears.

No, it does nothing remotely.  The manual has an example showing how to
use it over SSH, but it’s just an example...

> Would it be an idea to use rsync instead with the --delete
> switch.

... and it has a discussion of bandwidth efficiency and --missing.
:-)

> You give an example of copying profiles. How about copying a store
> with and without profile linked packages? That is use case:
>
> - copy all current packages in use on the server (in profiles)

That’s possible, by passing ‘guix archive’ the list of profiles.

> and use case:
>
> - copy all files, even those not linked to profiles and up for GC

Even those not linked?  What for?  :-)

> When that works that would be the way forward, but it does not drop my
> wish for being able to regenerate the database.

My reading of this is different: we need more/better tools to transfer
whole subsets of a store among different machines (remember we already
have ‘guix publish’ and ‘guix offload’ in that area.)

Once we have those, I think you may stop worrying about the database.  :-)

WDYT?

Ludo’.