gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] ParaGUI or ClanLib binding

From: Leon Torres
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] ParaGUI or ClanLib binding
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:10:16 -0700 (PDT)

On 22 Aug 2002, Tom Sawyer wrote:

>       debian woody
>       ruby 1.6.7
>       swig 1.3.13

Hmm.. I'm on debian sid. Our setups shouldn't be too diferent.

> i checked configure.in and those lines ARE present, so the patch worked,
> right?

Yep.

> but the toplevel Makefile and the /bindings/ruby/Makefile do not contain
> anything. the lines look like this:
>
> RUBY =
> RUBY_INCLUDE_DIR =
> RUBY_INSTALL_DIR =

when you run './configure --enable-ruby {other opts}', make sure that the
output contains lines like this:

  checking for ruby... (cached) /usr/bin/ruby
  checking for ruby/ruby.h... (cached) yes

> to:
>
> RUBY_INCLUDE_DIR=[`ruby -e "require 'rbconfig'; puts
> Config::CONFIG['archdir']"`]

Doh! That's probably the correct way to find ruby.h. I'll update the patch.

> but this doesn't seem to do it. same problem. i deleted configure.cache,
> which i beleive will make sure it looks for everything anew, right? and
> by the way i'm running it all as root.

Well, deleting configure.cache is probably not enough. Try 'sh
autogen.sh' first, then ./configure --enable-ruby. Make sure that
the output of configure says that it found ruby and ruby.h. If not, then
please send the output of ./configure --enable-ruby to me in a private
email.

> is that enough for you to figure it out? i don't often compile code, so
> i'm not sure what to try next.

If it works after 'sh autogen.sh' as noted above, then it's solved.
Otherwise, send me the output of ./configure --enable-ruby and I'll try to
figure out what's wrong. In any case, it's still possible to proceed by
applying the following explicit hack:

After ./configure --enable-ruby, in the following makefiles:
  paragui/Makefile
  paragui/bindings/Makefile
  paragui/bindings/ruby/Makefile

Fill out the RUBY vars like so:

RUBY=ruby
RUBY_INCLUDE_DIR=/path/to/ruby/include (where ruby.h is)
RUBY_INSTALL_DIR=/path/to/ruby/install (where paragui.so should go)

Then proceed to compile. This is guaranteed to work, but it's a vary hacky
hack. :p

- Leon