gutopia-dev

[rgui-dev] We don't need no stinking bindings!

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: [rgui-dev] We don't need no stinking bindings!
Date: 27 Aug 2002 20:06:49 -0600

rich,

holy syntax! just had another thought after reading your post on
ruby-talk about message_box on win32:

do we really need to even bother with backend binding API's at all? i
mean with Ruby/DL it seems to me that we could just forget SWT, forget
Ruby-Gnome, SWin/VRuby, etc. We don't need no stinking bindings! just
build the GUtopIa Platform Component Classes to talk directly to the C
API's with Ruby/DL. Couldn't we do that?

in other words instead of:

  GUtopIa Meta-API
    /\
    \/
  GUtopIa Platform Interfaces
    /\
    \/
  SWT Bindings  -or-   Ruby/Gtk, RubyCocoa, etc.
    /\                   /\
    ||                   ||
    \/                   \/
  SWT C binaries       libgtk, etc. (.dll, .so)
    /\
    \/
  libgtk, etc. (.dll, .so)

we could just do this:

  GUtopIa Meta-API
    /\
    \/
  GUtopIa Platform Interfaces (using Ruby/DL)
    /\
    \/
  libgtk, etc. (.dll, .so)

wouldn't that be the better way to do it, now that we have Ruby/DL? and
then we don't have to worry about anything else but defining the GUtopIa
design and implementing the individual gutopia interfaces to meat its
specs?

~transami