gutopia-dev

RE: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:29:46 -0700

Rich Kilmer wrote:

> I am also interested in Laurent's approach, especially the parsing of
> the existing C code and generating Ruby-C code...or better yet, Ruby/DL
> code ( http://kt-www.jaist.ac.jp/~ttate/ruby/ruby-dl.html ). Ruby/DL is
> included in 1.7.2 now and lets you call .dll/.so files w/out writing (or
> having to compile) C extensions.  Anyway, if we need to parse C code I
> have been working with rlex and ryacc so we could get a
> tokenizer/grammer file for the C code and build a translator to Ruby/C
> or Ruby/DL.  Sounds like FUN :-)

Given that the automated part of the porting is a one-time thing (followed
by lots of hand-work). Using a lexer/parser/grammar and creating the needed
code-emitter seems like overkill. It seems to me that it would be less work
to write some regex-based Ruby scripts to handle the first pass.

Ruby/DL does sound like a good way to go.

Curt