gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:23:03 +0200

Rich Kilmer wrote:
Tom,

I really don't think there is a huge installed base using ANY Ruby GUI
bindings.  Even with Fox on Win32 the damn thing dies if you try and
start and run another Ruby thread.

Eeeuhhh, it works fine on Linux :-)))

> I do _a lot_ (as in my day job) of
Ruby development and GUI stuff just has not been needed (yet) but going
forward I believe it is critical to the success of Ruby as a language to
build solutions in.

Cannot agree more. Actually if we manage to have an SWT like thing for Ruby that really works, this is going to make a big difference with other languages like Perl, Python and others...

I think that mirroring the SWT approach would yield you a much greater
degree of control to build a Ruby-way API than other approaches such as
Fox, Wx, GTK, etc since the main principal is to keep all the logic in
the higher level language (and out of C).  This will allow us to build
really nice, pure Ruby logic above those low level primitives.

Yes, yes, yes!

Laurent

--
Laurent JULLIARD - Xerox R&T/SSTC/XPA - Open Source team