gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Space in RDF structure

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Space in RDF structure
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:52:48 +0100

Asko Soukka wrote:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to create a feel of space in an RDF structure, even though the structure can be very dense and the same nodes

How about simply turning off most of the properties most of the time, as in zzstructure where only 2-3 dimensions are shown at once? E.g. if you only turn on the properties making up a list/tree, then you will be able to browse that list/tree quite naturally.

With swad-chart.rdf? Uh... If we think properties as dimensions, that would have been difficult to visualise also from zzstructure.

I don't understand. What do you mean by, 'think properties as dimensions'? In zzstructure swad-chart.rdf would have used a different structure than it does use, just as anything in zzstructure would have used a different structure if designed for RDF :-)

(I.e., saying 'what if we showed RDF property X as a zzstructure dimension' doesn't make too much sense because an RDF structure designerr makes different decisions than an zzstructure designer; in zzstructure, you don't want to use many dimensions with few connections, whereas in RDF this is not a problem.)

As for how to view swad-chart, I would recommend going to the SWAD (root) node,

    file:/home/connolly/w3ccvs/WWW/2000/01/sw/swad-chart#SemWeb01

turn off all properties except rm:..., and choose "g:label" from "View/Show class/rm:subgoal" and "View/Show class/All others".

This gives you a view closer to the one seen in the actual graph.

Probably, we need some default properties corresponding with d.1, d.2 and d.3 in zzstructure, which could be shown spatially in a special view.

Firstly, in which way would these be special and how would it allow them to be more easily shown spatially?

Secondly, I think that having 'default properties' really goes against the philosophy of RDF (IMHO). Well, you can use e.g. rdf:seeAlso if you just want to specify an associative relationship, but a 'generic' relationship that says nothing but, "these two nodes are related *somehow* but we don't tell you how (not even whether it's relevant to a human or not, etc.)"-- that doesn't sound useful.

-b.