health-dev

[Health-dev] [bug #64445] Make y, m, d of years_months_days string retur

From: Feng Shu
Subject: [Health-dev] [bug #64445] Make y, m, d of years_months_days string returned by compute_age_from_dates translatable.
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:14:00 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #8, bug #64445 (project health):

[comment #7 comment #7:]

>     > 42[Y] 11[M] 9[D]

looks good.

> Going back to this representation, I think is the best approach.
> Easy to split and get elements, and it could allow more than 1 char,
although I also think that translation should be kept to 1 character.

what about use "zero-width space"

>>> print('hello\u200bworld')
hello​world
>>> 'hello\u200bworld'.split('\u200b')
['hello', 'world']

> Question.. how about non-ascii chars, and non-latin representation? (like in
the case of Chinese..) Can we represent it with a single char?

Yes, Chinese only use a single char.

year = 年 or 岁
month = 月
day = 日 or 天

> Today we have the ascii-escaped representation, that would take more than
one char.

I think at the moment 'ascii-escaped' only exist in json string, we always
load the json string, so it seem to no problem.

> We'll go back to the debate on ensure_ascii argument in json.dumps. Let's
explore this more.

> Best
> Luis

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?64445>