heartlogic-dev

RE: [Heartlogic-dev] OHL v2 alpha test

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: RE: [Heartlogic-dev] OHL v2 alpha test
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:43:14 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 01:00 -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
Darn, I think I am stuck in power outage time again.  I guess 12pm IST is
12am CST perhaps?

Well, I think it is most efficient if I reply to your msgs when I have had
a chance to e.g. try the levels once the power it back on.  My day is
chock full tomorrow so alas it will have to wait until Thurs.  Ug.

Gosh, feedback within 2 or 3 days?  I'm acclimated to waiting 1-2 months
to hear back from you.  ;-)

Yeah, sorry.  I suck.

Also, when I messed around with it yesterday I could not make any sense of
what the stats meant.  E.g. N did not seem to correspond to the number of
replies I had done and M did not seem to be a mean and S (or I forget what
the letter or abbrev was) did not seem to correspond to an sdev.  Perhaps
this is just one of those buggy things you have not gotten around to
fixing yet.

No, you guessed correctly.  I am using the abbreviations according the
APA Publication Manual.  What perhaps isn't obvious is that the samples
include everyone who has rated the particular construal, not just you.

I thought it might be doing that. But even so, the numbers did not seem to make sense...Well, it doesn't matter. The numbers now seem to make sense.

Anal point: In my dissertation items were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 rather than -2 to +2 as I belive that you do. I am not sure if statistical analysis requires 1-5 or not. Shouldn't be too hard to convert the data.

Anyway, I spoke to Peter and he is not too concerned with total and
complete alignment with CLib.

I think the main task facing me is to come up with a set of test cases
that go beyond the dissertation.  E.g. Tracy wants a banana.  Tracy gets a
banana/apple/strawberry/piece of coal.  Then modify the model to handle
them all.

OK

Another task might be to simply get you all the surveys from the
dissertation.  Ug.  This has been on the list forever.

Why?  I believe you already sent me one survey.

Because we would like to be able to replicate the dissertation.  If
the findins of the dissertation hold up on the WWW then we can be
that much surer that the methodology of sampling random WWW users
works.

I diligently copied
everything for OHL v1.  For OHL v2, there are a few changes:

1. There are a few minor changes in wording.

2. The reason and the emotion are rated separately, not together.

Hrm, I'm confused, I didn't seem an emotion in many of the items. I tried about 10 items and I did not see an emotion work in most of them. I did see one in which "tracy feels happy." That's an emotion. I saw one in which the closest thing to an emotion word was the word "anticipation." But anticipation is not really inherently positive or negative and therefore does not fit e.g. Ortony's definition of emotion. It might be considered an affective state (i.e. a level of arousal). I found several cases of "indifferent." I suppose that might be considered an emotion. It was in my dissertation....I really think we need to keep the emotions small. E.g. just focus on happy vs sad vs indifferent. Each item should
have an emotion in it.

There is the heading "Understood As." This seems to be a survey that is more about how a computer understands a story and less about how one makes
inferences about the emotions of a characters in a story.

By the way what do all those levels (i.e. g t s 3 m M) mean? Having different levels makes it difficult to obtain experimental validity. Ugh, I hate to rain down on all the work you have done for this.

Why?
Because I believe the emotion is dependent on the reason.  Hence, if the
reason is unbelievable then there is no point in rating the emotion.

Well, it might make sense to have several ratings per item. E.g. a rating of the believability of the emotion alone in response to the scenario cue, of the reason alone in response to the scenario cue and of the reason and the emotion together... This adds to complexity of the data analysis. I still think that we should use the old basic framework of emotion and reason for that emotion. Later we can work on believability of less structured model output (e.g. were the way the emotion word figures into the appraisal might vary...and also using compound appraisals).

Well, I'm still very excited about how this interface has progressed. But we seem to have some pretty big differences about methodology. Lets keep working on our differences. I think we both really want OHL to make a mark.

Bill