heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] methodology (was RE: OHL v2 alpha test)

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] methodology (was RE: OHL v2 alpha test)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:02:57 +0530

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 00:33 -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > Sure, but have you thought carefully about what it would mean to have
> > those three ratings (reason alone, emotion alone, reason and emotion
> > together)?  Consider your scenario *H3.  The model generates three
> > appraisals:
> >
> > ((:seq TypeIIAppraisal *Happy "At least she gets to get attention from
> > her mom.")
> > (:seq TypeIIAppraisal-B *Happy "At least she gets to have fruit.")
> > (:seq TypeIIIAppraisal *Sad "She did not get what she wanted."))
> >
> > What if I don't believe in Type-II appraisals?  Given a Type-II
> > appraisal, what is the point of asking about the emotion?  This is not a
> > rhetorical question, try to answer.
>
> Perhaps our theory is incomplete.  Perhaps there are reasons that our
> model that does not generate such that she feels happy.  If so, then
> people would say the emotion happy was believable but the reason was not
> believable.  And the emotion and reason together  is not believable.
>
> We would want to know about such cases because this would be a clue that
> we needed other reasons that concluded happy.
>
> This is an example of why we would want to ask about the emotion alone,
> the reason alone, and the two together.

Hrm, one email about rating comments is still pending but I think I'll
respond briefly here anyway.  Actually I have a very specific proposal
in mind.  I'll just spell it out.

Toby wants some orange juice.
At bedtime daddy makes Toby some hot chocolate.

1. Does Toby believe that Hot Coco is a good substitute for OJ in this
situation?  If not, skip to #3.

2. Toby feels happy/indifferent/sad when he gets Hot Coco from his dad.
(ask for Likert rating, as usual)

3. Does Toby more interested in getting attention from his dad than what
is the specific kind of drink?  If not, skip to #5.

4. Toby feels happy/indifferent/sad when he gets attention from his dad.
(ask for Likert rating, as usual)

5. Is there any other reason why Toby might feel happy/indifferent/sad
about getting Hot Coco from his dad?

6. Is it believable that Toby did not get what he wanted?  If not, skip
the next question.

7. Toby feels happy/indifferent/sad because he did not get what he
wanted. (ask for Likert rating, as usual)

That's how I propose to structure it.  I believe the structure of these
questions address your concerns and as well as mine.