Re: Segmentation Fault in yyparse() method

From: lfinsto1
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault in yyparse() method
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:28:10 +0100 (CET)

> I'm a german student (so sorry for my bad english).

It doesn't seem that bad to me, but if you have trouble with anything,
just write in German.  I understand it and I think some other people here
do, too.

> I'm using a Bison/Flex application, that was written by another student
> for
> his bachelor thesis. The application runs without any trouble, if it is
> compiled with gcc version 3.3.6, but with every other gcc version (e.g.
> 4.1.2) I tested, it throws a "segmentation fault" error.

Well, my guess is that it's trying to reading from an invalid address.

> In the gcc-3.3.6 compiled version it jumps into the yylex() method and
> runs
> through without complaints.

One of those strange mysteries one has with computers.

> Because I don't really understand exactly what happens in this piece of
> code, I have no idea what is going wrong.
>

> Does Anybody have a good hint for me?

Run your application under the control of a debugger, such as GDB, and do
a backtrace when the program crashes.  Then put a breakpoint before the
error and run the program again.  Examine the values of variables and the
contents of pointers around where the error occurs.

> More Detailed information in the Attached Readme file.

> The File is quite big. The bison generated code is about 39000 lines of
> code(The "Segmentation fault is in line 33120)

Please try the above suggestions first (unless someone comes up with a
better answer in the meantime).  I never look at other peoples' code
except under duress.

Laurence Finston