Re: Segmentation Fault in yyparse() method

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault in yyparse() method
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:11:27 +0100

Jonas Stahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a german student (so sorry for my bad english).
>
> I'm working at my bachelor thesis and I'm having a little problem with
> Bison/Flex.
> [snip]
> Does Anybody have a good hint for me?

Well, is the use of bison/flex required? My initial reaction when I saw
the code was "Why the hell is he writing a parser for a very specific
XML file format with bison/flex?". Unless the use of bison/flex is
required, I would strongly recommend using libxml2 to parse the XML
(heck, given that the idea is to transform LaTeX XML to text suitable
for screen readers, I think it's likely that an XSL transform is the
best way to go).

As others have suggested, it's likely that the error is in your flex
code, not in the grammar. Of course, since you also seem to use lots of
fixed-length char arrays it's certainly possible the crash is the result
of some buffer overflow that would be hard to debug.

> More Detailed information in the Attached Readme file.
>
> The File is quite big. The bison generated code is about 39000 lines of
> code(The "Segmentation fault is in line 33120)

Never send generated files unless specifically asked to; it's
unnecessary since it can be assumed that those people on this list who
are inclined to help you will have bison and flex. Also avoid the use of
compression tools other than zip, gzip and bzip2, to ensure maximal
portability across platforms.