AW: AW: AW: Segmentation Fault in yyparse() method

From: Jonas Stahl
Subject: AW: AW: AW: Segmentation Fault in yyparse() method
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 20:31:04 +0100

Thank you very much for your efforts. You helped me a lot.

> However, the gcc 3.x builds did trigger lots of valgrind errors (over
> ten million!); so there's definitely serious problems with the code
> (just nothing that causes a fatal crash).

I knew about the errors but I didn't talk about it, because I thought nobody
would look at the fatal error, if I wrote it ;-)

> I did come accross the probable cause for the issue - your token type
> contains a single char array, with its size defined as 30000 - so it
> seems very likely that those semantic values are seriously overflowing
> the program's stack. Changing the MAXLENGTH macro in additional.h to
> 8192 (8K) instead made the gcc4 builds work properly (well, they produce
> the same result and the same 10million+ valgrind errors as the gcc3
builds).
> My conclusion is that the code you have is horribly broken, without any
> real redeeming features. A student turning in code like this to me would
> certainly not get a passing grade :)

At least it's an improvement. I will forward your complaints to him. Maybe
he finds the time to fix the errors.

The next thing I'll try is, get it running under windows. But this is a very
different problem.

So again thanks to everybody who invested time in my problems.

Jonas Stahl