Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:09:43 +0300

> From: Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 25 Apr 2003 12:43:23 +0100
>
>   Eli> I really don't know why did you say that.  For example, Emacs
>   Eli> developers use both Unix and Windows CVS clients, and several
>   Eli> varieties of the Windows ones at that, and I have yet to see
>   Eli> any significant problems with the files in the repository.  In
>   Eli> fact, I cannot recall even a single problem related to that;
>   Eli> all source files are kept in the repository in their original
>   Eli> Unix EOL format.
>

> On the same files? I should be clear here, when I say "files" I mean
> work files, not a repository file.
>
> For instance, if you have a file space shared between windows and a
> unix box. Then you check out a module using the unix CVS (the workfile
> versions will then have unix terminators). And then you operate over
> those files using the windows client, and check them in? The windows
> client is expecting dos terminators. What will happen? Well I'm not
> sure.

Most, if not all, of Windows CVS clients work just fine with
Unix-style EOLs.  When you checkin such files, what you get in the
repository is Unix EOLs.

Thus, if the issue of editing the same files from Windows and Unix
machines is solved, the issues with CVS should not be a problem.

The issue of editing the same files from Windows and Unix machines is
not really related to what we were talking about, but if Emacs is used
on all the machines, it is solved almost by default--the only
non-default setting is a proper definition of untranslated
filesystems, as I wrote elsewhere in this thread.

> Like wise if you go the other way around, and check out with a windows
> client, and then checkin with a unix client? I am pretty sure that the
> unix client will not translate out the dos terminators, because its
> not expecting them in the first place.

Right.  And that's why the procedure(s) I was talking about in my mail
should make sure files are checked out with Unix EOLs, even on
Windows.

> Now there are other problems besides this. I checked out a file from
> CVS yesterday, under unix, and the resultant file had dos
> terminators.

You should ideally have your CVS setup in such a way that this does
not happen.  A Unix-EOL file should be checked out into a workfile
with with Unix EOLs.  If worse comes to worst, there are programs to
convert between the EOL formats without changing the file's timestamp.