Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:19:31 +0300

> From: Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 03 Aug 2004 08:32:15 +0200
>
> > Does (setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-8) help?
>
> No, even though it was a very interesting option. When I set
> that variable I can *save* files and the file names looks
> very cryptic in explorer.exe, probably because Windows use
> UTF-16

Your original message said ``file names with Unicode characters''.
Can you tell what characters are those, and why do you think they are
encoded in some Unicode-related encoding, like UTF-16?  Can you look
at the file's name as recorded in the directory with some low-level
tool that actually shows the byte values that encode the file's name?

You see, I suspect that Windows file names are encoded in the system
codepage, not in UTF-16.  So perhaps setting file-name-coding-system
to that codepage would solve the problem.