Re: line-move-visual

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:12:56 -0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:

Choosing defaults is very difficult indeed.  You can never please
everyone.  In this specific case, I'm the main guy to blame: I wrote the
original patch for line-move-visual (oddly enough, since it touches
parts of the code I still am not at all familiar with), mostly because
it seemed it would be important for proper support of word-wrap (which
I didn't care for much, but many users cared about it).

Isn't word-wrap the ideal solution for dealing with the single-line paragraphs that you mention in the second bullet point below?

Yes, it occasionally doesn't do what I want, but in practice, it does
what I want more often than the previous case:
- when no line wraps, it either makes no difference, or it works
  slightly better because it correctly accounts for
  variable-pitch fonts.
- when lines are long (typically the "single-line paragraph" text coming
  from people who either use word-wrap or longlines-mode or an editor
  that behaves similarly, but can also happen in many other cases like
  binary files, or mechanically-generated files), the new behavior is
  much better (how did you move to "that spot I see about 10
  visual-lines down from point" in a single logical line in
  previous Emacsen?).
- when the buffer mostly fits without wrapping, except for a few
  exceptions, then yes, the new behavior is less good for those
  wrapped-lines.  In my particular case, such lines are usually (very
  minor) bugs anyway, so it's not that important, but I understand that
  some people get annoyed.  And of course, if you use C-100 C-n instead
  of M-g M-g 100 RET to move to the line 100 (I personally use C-s 100
  instead ;-), you'll be disappointed, and if you use keyboard macros
  you'll also be disappointed.

Depending on your particular circumstances, the second case will only
rarely happen whereas the third will be very common, so you'll be
really annoyed.  Sorry about that.  Please (setq line-move-visual nil)
in your .emacs and/or try to come up with some idea how we could keep
the advantages in cases 1 and 2 without suffering in case 3.

If line-move-visual is nil by default, the users that care about 1 and 2 can set it to t, can't they? It is the same issue from the other side of the fence. They don't need the default set in a particular way to get their behaviour.

Moreover, the people dealing with single-line paragraphs (me being one of them) will normally use visual-line-mode, which does visual line motion anyway. So, they are not affected by the default at all.

So, this particular decision doesn't seem to be all that difficult.

Cheers,
Uday