Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander

From: José A . Romero L .
Subject: Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 12:31:28 -0800 (PST)

On 5 Gru, 19:42, Haines Brown <hai...@HistoricalMaterialism.info>
wrote:
(...)
> I found a 4R344 that differed only by a few hundred bytes from what I'm

Actually the effective difference was 9 bytes - a rather stupid bug,
but hard to spot.

> using, but I assumed that it is nevertheless a fix rather than
> version. In any case, I installed it, and it now works! I can hit RET
> while a remote file is selected, and emacs opens so that I can edit and

Great :)

> save it. My only (petty) problem is that when I close the emacs editor
> I'm not returned to the remote directory in which the test file was
> located, but back to my local scratch page. I have to change buffers to
> get back to where I was.

That's by design: whenever you open a file for editing, Sunrise moves
out of the way. You need to call again the "sunrise" function to
bring the panes back (that's why it's highly recommended to bind it
to a good combination of keys). IIRC you are now using the popviewer
extension, so you could try using "o" (or "v") instead of Enter to
open your files - this should open then in a separate frame, leaving
the panes intact in the previous one. When you're finished editing
you just close the frame. If you like this way of working you can
rebind Enter to the "sr-quick-view" function.

(...)
> I guess what I said above kinda makes this problem moot. The problem
> seems to be resolved, and I thank you for your patient concern.

Thank *you* for your patient perseverance ;-)

(...)
> In ~/.netrc I have:
>
>   machine ftp.bro...@teufel.HistoricalMaterialism.info
>     login brownh
>     password ...

No idea if it makes any difference, but in my .netrc files I have all
details concerning a given host in one line.

> In .emacs I have:
>
>   (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
>   (setenv "teufel" "/ftp:bro...@ftp.teufel.HistoricalMaterialism.info")
(...)

I think that last string should be rather:

    "/ftp:bro...@ftp.teufel.HistoricalMaterialism.info:/"

(tramp seems to have problems if you don't provide explicitly the
path to the remote directory)

>   M-x f, $teufel
(...)

BTW personally I prefer to use bookmarks for remote directories too:
you don't have to remember the name of the bookmark, just do C-x r l
and then select the one you want to follow.

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail