Re: [OT] Long words (was: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispel

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [OT] Long words (was: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispell in its buffer *Choices*)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 22:58:10 +0200

> I like language-based jokes a lot. (How about this:
> a female student of humanities ask her female friend
> studying CS about dating prospects at her faculty.
> The answer? "The odds are good, but the goods are
> odd." ;-))

I understand the pun but not the joke. That must be
a white-collar CS joke. Us blue-collar hackers don't
understand Haskell, UML, AJAX, microkernels and so on
either. As for puns, how about this:

    There are two tools watching TV.
    One saw.

:)

>> Woz had not-that-distant roots in Poland. When he
>> was into the phreak scene he put up a telephone
>> "service" to which you could call for Polish jokes.
>> The thing got so popular eventually the US-Polish
>> association called him and asked him to drop it as
>> it put their country in bad light. Woz then asked
>> if it was OK if he just replaced Poland for Italy.
>> That, they said, would be OK.
>
> And that -- by far -- is the best one in your
> email!!!

It is always like that. You remember those Donald Duck
technicolor from the 30s, 40s, and 50s? I once had
a friend who had those on a DVD. When we started to
watch first thing was some guy from Disney saying
"back then, people weren't as politically aware as
now..." (~) blaha blaha. And sure enough, there was
plenty of "insensitive" jokes on nationalities and
ethnic groups: Native Americans, Asian people, and so
on, typically those who are easy to make fun of and
make caricatures out of.

If anyone is actually offended but such jokes is
another matter.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573