help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] authentication problem

From: Michael Samanov
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] authentication problem
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:38:16 +0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Beldiman" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: "Sergey Poznyakoff" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 1:07 AM
Subject: AW: [Help-gnu-radius] authentication problem

> Hello,
>
> [...]
> >
> > Auth-Type = SQL means that the database keeps encrypted (DES or MD5)
> > password, whereas your actual database keeps plaintext:
>
> For testing I changed the entry in the users file to work with plain text
> passwords in mysql and it is working now!
>
> However i could not get it to work with MD5 encrypted passwords in the
> database
> how am i supposed to encrypt the passwords? I used the MD5() function of
> mysql - is that the way to go?

auth_query \
  SELECT ENCRYPT(passwd) \
  FROM users \
  WHERE login='%u'

It will work if your mysqld && radiusd use the same crypt library, i.e. DES
or MD5. It should be ok if both run on the same box.

Or, of course, you may store already encrypted passwords in your database.
It may be either DES or MD5 encrypted because crypt function recognizes this
properly.

The above example works fine for me

Sincerely yours,
  Michael (mailto:address@hidden)