help-gnu-radius

Re: AW: [Help-gnu-radius] authentication problem

From: Michael Samanov
Subject: Re: AW: [Help-gnu-radius] authentication problem
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:59:15 +0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sergey Poznyakoff" <address@hidden>
To: "Dan Beldiman" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 11:51 AM

> > how am i supposed to encrypt the passwords? I used the MD5() function of
> > mysql - is that the way to go?
>
> No, it is not. Use ENCRYPT() function instead. By default it generates
> DES hashes (these should work too). When invoked with the proper
> second argument, the function generates MD5 hashes, provided that the
> underlying crypt() call supports them (refer to man crypt to see if it
> does). For example, the following invocation may be used to generate
> MD5 hashes:

Not exactly so. I don't deal with multiple systems, but as for FreeBSD it
has /etc/auth.conf where you may set the type of the crypting you wish. If
you change this config, you'll get all the programs that use 'crypt' change
their default behaviour. For example, radiusd and mysqld being reloaded
after you changed /etc/auth.conf start to encrypt identically.

> ENCRYPT('guessme',concat('$1$',substring(unix_timestamp(now()),6,10),'$'))

Without the second argument MySQL's ENCRYPT() choose the random salt, so you
don't need to use salt directly.

Sincerely, Michael