help-gnu-radius

Re: AW: [Help-gnu-radius] authentication problem

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: AW: [Help-gnu-radius] authentication problem
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:14:35 +0300

> Not exactly so. I don't deal with multiple systems, but as for FreeBSD it
> has /etc/auth.conf where you may set the type of the crypting you wish. If

What you mean is the default encryption type.

> > ENCRYPT('guessme',concat('$1$',substring(unix_timestamp(now()),6,10),'$'))
>
> Without the second argument MySQL's ENCRYPT() choose the random salt, so you
> don't need to use salt directly.

The trick here is not to provide *a salt*, but to provide such salt
that will make system crypt function produce an MD5 hash. This does
not depend on the default encryption type. The FreeBSD crypt()
documentation says:

   The algorithm used will depend upon the format of the
   Salt (following the Modular Crypt Format (MCF)), if DES and/or
   Blowfish is installed or not, and whether crypt_set_format() has been
   called to change the default.
   [...]

For MD5 hashes, the salt value must have the form:

    $1$<the_salt>$

where <the_salt> means the salt sequence itself.

Refer to `man 3 crypt' for more info.

-Sergey