Re: [Help-gnunet] Problems connecting (connected hosts: 0)

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Problems connecting (connected hosts: 0)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 01:05:17 -0500

On Sunday 01 September 2002 11:53 pm, Leonard wrote:
> Thanks to GNUnet, I discovered that my USR 'CMX' cable-modem is Not
> limited in -UDP- outgoing. Hard to believe at first but good to know ;)
>
> When I saw such a hudge traffic for nothing (I was only able to DL 1 single
> file, the funny one on the RIAA), I kinda stopped to believe in GNUnet's
> short-term future.

Well, there is a bug in 0.4.6 (and before???) with respect to bandwidth
control (some value was not reset to 0), breaking the limiting completely.
There was also a screw-up with UP and DOWN being used the wrong way.
I've seen these traffic surges myself & could not quite explain them yet
either, but they should not have to be.  [and yes, this is definitely a big
short-term problem; reducing traffic is one of the big goals for the current
big refactoring].

> > MAXNETUPBPSTOTAL = 500000
> > MAXNETDOWNBPSTOTAL = 500000
>
> I put 10.000 in UP (10 KB/s) but it still goes up to 90 KB/s up! ...
>
> Then reduced also DOWN to 20.000 -> this time I wasn't able to get more
> than 2 hosts, but the outgoing traffic was really low (2 KB/s)
>
> Now I moved DN back up to 50.000, but I only have 1 connected host...
>
> > Anyway, I can't get into the network..
> >
> > how many 'connected hosts' you have?
>
> 8 ... Not a big network...

The number is the number of nodes that you are directly connected to, the
actual network can be larger (but it's currently not too likely, who has
90kbps? :-)

> > maybe you can give me your ip addr and port so I can connect directly to
> > your box?
>
> Couldn't you get the hostlists automatically ? If not, try to wget them
> manually. #HOSTLISTURL
> http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/download/hostlist
> http://flolp.dynodns.net/chris/gnunet/hostlist

The flolp server seems to be down at the moment, if you remove it from the
config file, gnunetd will go straight to ovmj.org which should make it
connect faster.

> It actually takes a while for 3 hosts to be connected. Say 5-10 minuts.
> Connected hosts    :                 5
> Uptime             :               434s

The first 5 minutes are the timeout on flolp. :-(

> For you, I'll relaunch the monster for tonight though my cable provider
> might kill me. static: 24.171.20.168 2086

The IP:port will not help anybody to connect...

Christian