help-gnustep

Re: Objective-C programming

From: Mehul N. Sanghvi
Subject: Re: Objective-C programming
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:45:59 -0400

On 2005-09-30 15:56:07 +0000 Mehul N. Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> wrote:

Gregory John Casamento said the following on 9/30/2005 9:08 AM:
I heard of at least one person getting it to run under NetBSD on an old (read
680x0) Mac w/ 16 MB of RAM.

GJC

NetBSD/sparc64 though is another matter.  One of the dependent libraries
does not compile and therefore, neither does GNUstep.  This is for
gnustep-base, in the ffcall library.

Perhaps you can use ffi rather than ffcall ... it's an option at configure time.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a ffi library on NetBSD, at least I don't see on in /usr/pkgsrc. Does it come as part of gnustep-base ?

Also, on NetBSD, there is something called gnustep-objc which according
to the description, is the GCC/GNUstep Objective-C runtime. Is this something that I should have ? Apparently all the functions have
their names changed to the GNU naming convention.  Should I use this
or the NeXT runtime ?   Do I even have that choice ?

No ... you need the gnu runtime ... there is no NeXT runtime for sparc64 afaik

My mistake in how I worded the above. Here is what it says in the package description:

"The runtime is modeled after the NeXT Objective C runtime. That is, most functions have the semantics as it is known from the NeXT. The names, however, have changed. All runtime API functions have names of lowercase letters and underscores as opposed to the 'traditional' mixed case names."

To me this means the following:

gnustep-base API           gnustep-objc API
----------------           ----------------
 GSAtomicMallocZone         gs_atomic_malloc_zone
 GSBreakTime                gs_break_time
 GSCurrentThread            gs_current_thread
 GSDebugSet                 gs_debug_set
 NSAllocateObject           ns_allocate_object
 NSCopyObject               ns_copy_object

Is my understanding correct ?  Is this what I want ?  Or should I just
install gnustep-base and gcc-objc and leave it at that (along with
gnustep-make) ?

Based on what folks have said here, I believe that as long as I have
gcc (with objc support), gnustep-make, and gnustep-base, I should be
just fine, yes ?

cheers,

     mehul

p.s. This seems to be only there on NetBSD, and not on Debian.  Using
     the packing list to look for files in Debian packages turned up
     nothing.  Also, a quick look around the GNUstep download area
     doesn't mention gnustep-objc although it seems to have come from
     GNUstep FTP site, as per the NetBSD Makefile
--
Mehul N. Sanghvi
email: mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com