help-gnustep

Re: Objective-C programming

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: Objective-C programming
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:36:30 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:00:04 -0400, Mehul wrote:
[...]
> > GNUstep's base/gui (Foundation/AppKit) are much more mature than objci,
> > so this begs the question, why do you want to avoid using them?
> I am not trying to avoid using them, just that I have a low-end machine
> and don't want to strain it too much by having to make use of the
> GUI (low end being 66MHz NuBus PowerMac 7100).

I'm using GNUstep on a 33MHz Sparc with 32MB Ram. While it's not as 'snappy'
as, say a 1GHz PC, it's still quite usable.

> As I said in my original
> post, I have wanted to learn Objective-C, but under the false assumption
> that one needed the GUI as well.  Nicola and yourself have clarified
> that misconception.

If memory serves right, there's at least one plain Objective-C library on
SourceForge, that implements several containers, such as arrays, lists and
such, that does not rely on GNUstep. I think it is/was called BobLib.

--
Chris