help-gnustep

Re: Objective-C programming

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Objective-C programming
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

Sherm,

--- Sherm Pendley <sherm@dot-app.org> wrote:

> "Mehul N. Sanghvi" <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to do any useful Objective-C programming, without
> > GNUstep?
>
> Yes - tens of thousands of Macintosh developers do so every day.

I'm pretty sure he meant on AppKit/Foundation. :)

To answer Mehul's question.  Yes, it's possible.  The gcc Objective-C compiler
comes with a few simple objects you can use.  You are in no way forced to use
GNUstep's base/gui libraries,

Additionally, there's this project: http://www.kjwcode.com/projects/objci

GNUstep's base/gui (Foundation/AppKit) are much more mature than objci, so this
begs the question, why do you want to avoid using them?

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.