help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Questions about graphic

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Questions about graphic
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:50:20 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Thu, October 19, 2006 10:53 am, Kasper Hviid said:
>  Here's a level with a fish in it. It is mainly drawn using markers, and
> it's my very first try with this medium. I cleaned it up a bit with
> Photoshop.
Cool!

> Sadly, large 24 bit png files takes up quite a bit of space. The zip
> compression make no difference.
Well, actually, using texture.jpeg instead of texture.png should work 8-)
But... using JPEG, you loose transparency informations. I can imagine
workarrounds, but I do not like any of them. What I could do, as a very
short term strategy, is to have a parameter in param.xml which specifies
the global transparency of the map. I suspect your map would look nice
with 90% opacity, with the "bubbles" still moving in the background. Need
to try 8-) You might think that transparency is useless, but I think some
effects, such as having a "window" in the map over the underlying
background, might be cool.

> www.childrenoftheparents.com/kaspers_stuff/fish.zip
> Christian, if you are going to write some documentation, remember to write
> what 2D level effects are implemented, or will have first priority
> (wraparound levels, semi transparent areas, and whatever else)
I totally agree. Since map design is the first domain where volonteers are
here to help, I need to explain clearly what works, or will work soon,
from the map designer point of view.

Now my priority is to launch the current LW6 snapshot using your map, make
a screenshot, and send it to the list! Actually I already ran the "game"
(not playable yet...) with your map but there are some issues, such as the
current LW6 snapshot depending on your OpenGL driver to display "big"
maps. For instance, on my computer, it's 1024x1024 max. I'm working on
changing this, it's already on its way, and not that tricky.

Thanks, and have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>     __/\__ ___