help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Questions about graphic

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Questions about graphic
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:46:43 +0200

Hi,

Kasper Hviid a écrit :
>> > Sadly, large 24 bit png files takes up quite a bit of space. The zip
>> > compression make no difference.
>> Well, actually, using texture.jpeg instead of texture.png should work
>> But... using JPEG, you loose transparency informations. I can
>> imagine workarrounds, but I do not like any of them.
>
> Couldn't you just use a opacity.jpg for transparence? (A grayscale picture
> defining the opacity by its brightness.)
Yes, that's exactly one of the options I imagined. My problem with it
was its being somewhat complicated, in the name of disk space
efficiency. I mean, having a .png allows you to specify both colors &
transparency. After all, that's what it's done for. So well, if there's
a "transparency.jpeg" map, one has to explain a lot of things, which are
otherwise pretty obvious. But... if you and me come with the same idea,
it might be that it's not completely foolish.

Still, LW6 does not have the dull limitation of LW5 and it's all packed
in one .dat file. So you could download the game with "some" maps. This
tarball should keep under 10Mb. And later unpack the rest of the maps,
and here we do not care if it weights 500Mb, provided map quality is there.

> I have made a version of the level with built-in transparence. (I wonder
> how
> it will look) www.childrenoftheparents.com/kaspers_stuff/fish2.rar
Great, but wait, arghh, I can't read recent RAR files, only RAR 2, but
well, .zip should be fine. Sorry about that. Simply zip it instead, I'll
be able to unpack it.

Meanwhile, I've managed to have "big" textures be displayable, so here's
a screenshot (without transparency) :
http://ufoot.hd.free.fr/ufoot/pub/screenshot-liquidwar6-20061024.jpg
http://ufoot.hd.free.fr/ufoot/pub/screenshot-liquidwar6-20061024.png

As you can see, it's not playable, but well, some work has been done.

> By the way, I checked out LW 3. Quite good actually. I didn't figure out
> how
> the menu worked, but I liked its simple style.
What, you mean you managed to run it on recent hardware? Which OS? Last
time I tried I couldn't run it, and wasn't surprises, LW3 uses ugly
dirty hacks such as code that modifies itself at run-time...

But well, glad you enjoyed it 8-)

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--