help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Questions about graphic

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Questions about graphic
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:58:27 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Fri, October 27, 2006 5:48 pm, Kasper Hviid said:
> It would be nice with a feature to let the levels overlap themself. It
> could bring some dimension to 2D maps. Here is a sketch to show what I
> had in mind:
> http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/6692/loopnd1.png
>
> However, it might be too cucumbersome to create.
Mmm, technically, it could be done. Won't be my top most priority, since
it won't be immediate either. Maybe a compromise, a workarround to
implement that would be to rely on some form of "gate", I mean some pixels
on the map that would be somehow connected, ignoring the fact that they
are "far" in terms of absolute distance. This "teleport" feature could be
used to implement something that is very close to what you have sketched,
without requiring to have 2 different layers.

> I seem to remember that the more possible ways a warrior could travel
> to the destination, the more resources would be  required by the game.
> Is this true?
Not exactly, the real limiting factors are:
- the surface of the map (that is, the surface of the "playable" area, you
can safely ignore walls).
- the number of factors

It's true that among 200x200 maps (for instance), the ones with very
complicated paths might not run as fast as a pure empty 200x200 maps. But
the difference isn't that big. On the contrary, increasing the absolute
size of the map (make it 400x400 for instance) dramatically slows down
everything. My opinion is that 400x300 is certainly the highest map
resolution we should use today. Note that the texture assiociated with the
map can be arbitrary big. But the map itself should stay fairly small.
Having played Liquid War for a while, I don't feel playing on 800x600 is
much more interesting, in terms of gameplay, that playing on a 200x150
map. At least, it does not justify the loss of speed (more than 10 times
slower...). Some maps might benefit from very high resolution, and as
someone mentionned some time ago, a "tactical Liquid War" could be
interesting. Let the game be slow, but the map be really big, with a
reason for it. But in most cases, a fast & furious game is better than a
slowish one. Note that in LW6 it's possible to zoom on a map, that is,
have parts of the map which are outside the screen, with of course the
viewable part being centered on your cursor.

FYI, in the current implementation, your 1280x960 are, by default,
dynamically resampled to be 400x300 (but the texture remains untouched,
only map.png is downscaled). This is a per-map setting, which can be
ultimately forced by the player.

> By the way: If you, or someone else, has any special map you/they want
> created, please write it here.
Yes 8-)

Have a nice day,

Christian.