[igraph] Choosing between different methods of detecting communities

From: Roey Angel
Subject: [igraph] Choosing between different methods of detecting communities
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:21:29 +0200

Hi,
I've constructed an undirected network of some 1500 nodes, and then applied to it different methods of community detection (Walktrap, Fastgreedy, label propagation and leading eigenvector). Not surprisingly the different methods give somewhat different results (different numbers of communities, different membership patterns etc.). I was wondering if there's a way to choose between the methods, either by experience (e.g. 'method x typically gives best results) or with some statistical test. I've looked into compare function but couldn't really make sense of it's output. Also, are there any recommendations on how to set the function variables. e.g. steps.

Thanks in advance,
Roey