Re: [igraph] Choosing between different methods of detecting communities

From: Roey Angel
Subject: Re: [igraph] Choosing between different methods of detecting communities
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 01:43:09 +0200

Hi Tamas,
Thanks a lot for the help.
I might try to write an R implementation myself or just wait for someone else to write them better than me.

Roey

On 09/26/2012 02:48 PM, Tamás Nepusz wrote:
The papers look interesting. Has anyone implemented any of the methods
into igraph (or any other library for that matter)?
I'm not aware of any such implementation but there was a thread on this mailing
list some time earlier where I proposed a relatively simple method to assess
the significance of a particular community. Given that you work in R, you
should have all the necessary statistical tools (e.g., the Mann-Whitney U test)
to implement it:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2012-06/msg00014.html
Chen -- do you mean edge.betweenness.community()?
I tried it but then R hangs (haven't tried letting run for a few hours
though).
edge.betweenness.community() is slow so it isn't really useful for graphs that
contain more than a few hundred vertices -- unless you have a day to spare or
so :) I would probably try multilevel.community() and/or infomap.community().
There is a recent review of community detection algorithms that you might be
interested in:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0906.0612