Re: [igraph] Choosing between different methods of detecting communities

From: 凌琛
Subject: Re: [igraph] Choosing between different methods of detecting communities
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 18:54:11 +0800

Hi,

Have you used the Weighted Girvan-Newman community detected algorithm in the library to detect community?
I am not sure what the edge weight represent in this algorithm in Igraph, similarity or distance?

Thanks,
chen

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Minh Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Roey Angel <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was wondering if there's a way to choose between the methods, either by
> experience (e.g. 'method x typically gives best results) or with some
> statistical test.

There is a general class of statistical tests called the significance
of community.  The relevant ideas and techniques can be found in the
following papers.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0033721
http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.82.066106
http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.81.046110