[iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] compiling error

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] compiling error
Date: 25 Apr 2002 01:58:33 -0700

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 23:36, Tim Westbrook wrote:

> > Yes! I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It will require a bit
> > of work with regards to libsoundfont (still looking for a better name
> > for this library, any ideas?)
>
>  nope, Generic Patch Library (GPL) , well I guess that one is taken ;)

There is the slight possibility that would be confusing :0  Get your
libGPL today.. The General Patch Library under the GPL license. How
about libgil? General Instrument Library.. HMmm.. Too simple of a name,
it would be nice if it was somewhat obvious what it was for just from
the library name.

> I was able to get swami compiled after I removed the "po" directorie from the
> SUBDIRS , makefile
> variable as it was making the build fail.

Do you remember how it was failing? I'm not aware of this issue. I'm
sure international gettext support is probably messed up anyways, its
left over from Smurf. There is currently only a German translation, and
I'm sure its rather broken. I should just disable it until I know its
working properly.

> The contents of the po dir are
>
>  address@hidden swami]# ls -la swami/po
>  total 100
>  drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Apr 23 23:09 .
>  drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root         4096 Apr 23 23:09 ..
>  -rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Mar 18 20:06 ChangeLog
>  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr 23 23:09 CVS
>  -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        70868 Mar 18 20:06 de.po
>  -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         6854 Mar 18 20:06 Makefile.in.in
>  -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          135 Mar 18 20:06 POTFILES.in
>
> But anyway , it looks great .
>
> A few more questions, By default does swami currently use iiwusynth as its
> output?

Yes. Currently that is the only wavetable output driver I have written
for Swami. I'm still trying to decide whether Swami should require
iiwusynth or not. I would like to add things like realtime interactive
loop setting and listening of samples from the sample load file dialog.
It seems like it might make sense just to use iiwusynth and its own
driver system rather than duplicate the effort (iiwusynth has support
for a lot of different PCM and MIDI drivers). Provided the API between
Swami and iiwusynth is flexible enough, it really shouldn't matter. I
could still write drivers for loading instruments into other wavetable
devices (such as the SB AWE 32/64 and Live cards) which would be useful
to those who don't have CPU to spare for a soft synth. If you, or anyone
else, has some opinions on this I could use some constructive input.

> When I am running swami I see no additional entries in
> /proc/asound/seq/clients. and I would like
> to use aconnect and my keyboard to trigger and do controllers, Is there some
> way I can hard code
> these values to connect an alsa sequencer to swami? What file should I look
> at.

It should be fairly trivial to add some code into Swami to get it to use
the ALSA sequencer in iiwusynth (in fact I think I had it in there
before). There is a lot that needs to be done with the auto-detection of
what drivers to use, user preferences, etc.. If you really want to get
ALSA sequencer support working in a hurry, I can send you a patch (a
hack of course, rather than a nice general solution worthy of
distribution).

> Thanks again
> -Tim

Thank you! Its great having other persons testing things out, making
suggestions, etc. Cheers!
        Josh Green

P.S. I've been rebuilding my laptop for the last couple days. The hard
disk is flakey or something, massive file system foo.. Its happened
several times. I just about threw a fit when I found that my ~/code
directory was empty (a week or so of coding on Swami and libsoundfont).
Thanks to lost+found though, I got it back. Yeah! Re-coding is no fun.