[iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 17:42:15 +0300

Hello,

I'll leave most answers to Peter, but I can at least try to help with
the two last items:
- The velocity mapping has been changed roughly three days ago. I
remember, that soft notes dropped too low, because of the shape of the
concave-convex curves (this is now implemented according to the SF2.01
specs, everything else is a bug).
If a known sound font doesn't work as it should, please let me know. The
specs are rather vague, especially when it comes to the vel-to-filter
default modulator.
Now after the change it 'feels' more or less like any other synth, when
playing piano patches without any other velocity or filter control. (My
MIDI keyboard covers the velocity range from 5..127). Depending on your
version, updating could help.

- The gain is frequently causing me a headache. But the default should
be safe, that is low.
So I have changed the default from 0.9 to 0.2 (dropped roughly by 13 dB)
in the last changes to CVS. This will make it even worse for you.
Luckily, you can simply issue the command
gain 1
from the command line,  iiwu_synth_set_gain(synth, gain) should do the
same from C.
Sadly, most soundfonts on the net are not normalized, so some gain boost
is needed (of course it will also lift up the quantization noise at the
low end).
For real-time piano sounds I usually use a limiter as LADSPA plugin to
prevent the worst digital clipping, and then as much gain as sounds
good.

Cheers

Markus