RE: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: RE: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 06:31:05 +0300

-snip-

> i'll probably try some digging around the sources now -- i'm already
> working on the music with iiwusynth (!) and this feature is very dear
> to me.

Here's how I'll (probably) implement exclusive groups:
In Iiwu_synth.c, iiwu_voice_noteon, the new synthesis process ('voice')
is set up and running just before the 'return r' statement.
Into the same file I'll put an 'iiwu_voice_noteoff_by_exclusive_group'
function, which is then called at this point, if the voice has an
exclusive group != 0. This will then change all other voices from the
same group into release state.
Probably I'll have this on CVS by Thursday.
There are other related things that have to be addressed: For example
retriggering of voices. I'm running out of polyphony, when playing piano
(never with more than 10 fingers :-) and the upper register has no
dampers.

BTW, I got a free 148 MB GM sound font, but the results are not very
encouraging (to say it politely). I'm not sure yet, if it's the
soundfont or the synth... I'll try the default sound font from Creative.

Have you had any problems with clicks at noteon or noteoff events?

> did i mention the synth hasn't crashed yet? most remarkable. i'm all
> enthused.

Actually, if I think back I think i've never crashed it myself. Strange
noises now and then, but I can't remember that I ever had a single
coredump under 'ordinary' conditions. Peter has done a nice job, let's
hope that I don't screw it up with my changes :-)