Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 22:21:32 +0200

M. Nentwig wrote:
Hello,

Hi Markus,

I've just been working my way though all the changes you've made.

Congratulations, you did a great job! Nice to see the modulator
part almost completely implemented!

> I'll leave most answers to Peter, but I can at least try to help with
> the two last items:

See my previous mail.

- The velocity mapping has been changed roughly three days ago. I
remember, that soft notes dropped too low, because of the shape of the
concave-convex curves (this is now implemented according to the SF2.01
specs, everything else is a bug).

This is a great improvement. I remember being quite annoyed about
the specs being so vague on the correct conversion.

- The gain is frequently causing me a headache. But the default should
be safe, that is low.

The problem is the lack of a good compressor.

At one point I added some basic limiter in the hope of having a real compressor soon.
The best solution for now is to use the ladspa plugins.
Maybe we can add a compressor in the synth later that can be turned
on/off from the command line.

Thanks for all your improvements. There are so many of them I've
spent most of the afternoon reading through them and I'm not finished
yet. You definitely tackled some of the difficult problems!

Cheers!
Peter

Cheers

Markus