Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth

From: Tim Goetze
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:47:35 +0200 (CEST)

M. Nentwig wrote:

>> yeah, the limiter is a good idea to help out here. however in my
>> project the synth output signal will feed a DSP chain, and it's far
>> more flexible to apply the limiter somewhere in that chain than to
>> have it at a fixed place within the synth.
>
>Yes, that's right. Clipping float output data doesn't make sense. I
>tried to be consistent, when I changed the 16-bit output clipping code
>(...that prevents the worst damage to ears and equipment), and so floats
>got clipped, too. I'll fix that.
>In the meantime, please feel free to edit 'iiwu_synth_write_float' in
>'iiwu_synth.c' and comment out the range limit...

great, thanks!

i'm not sure how this change will affect the jack audio driver (it
uses floats too), but afaict it's still better than clipping. and
iirc jack applies a limiter before sending the signal to the audio
interface.

[..]

>> btw, is somebody working on making drumkits work right? in the
>> above-mentioned 2 MB font, a closed hihat should cut off an open
>> hihat. with the awe64 it does, in iiwu it doesn't.
>
>This feature (exclusive groups) is not yet implemented, good that you
>mention it. I'll have to find a good GM soundfont to try that.

iirc you can get the standard awe soundfonts at creative.com -- they
aren't really good ;) but they do contain exclusive groups in the
drumkits. to do those fonts justice, i found the hihats agreeable.

i'll probably try some digging around the sources now -- i'm already
working on the music with iiwusynth (!) and this feature is very dear
to me.

did i mention the synth hasn't crashed yet? most remarkable. i'm all
enthused.

tim