Re: List Unsubscribed Groups Matching a Pattern

From: Joel Reicher
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 04:49:01 GMT

bazad <nobody@noreply.not> writes:

> So, may be experts can help me to configure my system.  Here are the
> configuration parameters:

The following should get you a complete list of groups in your
.newsrc.eld

Set all of gnus-read-active-file, gnus-save-killed-list, and
gnus-check-new-newsgroups to t. If you want these `new' groups to be
killed, set gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method to gnus-subscribe-killed,
otherwise the default will probably be to make them zombies. If you
are happy to have them as zombies, you don't need to set
gnus-save-killed-list to t, but killing anything will cause it to
vanish.

Start gnus.

Quit gnus.

Verify that .newsrc.eld is now very large.

Set the variables back to something sensible (or remove your settings
to permit defaults) so that reading news doesn't take ages.

Maybe there's an easier way to do all this, but I haven't found
it. I've wondered myself on occasion why this is so tricky, and the
only explanation I can think of is that having a complete local list
of newsgroups is not something many people want these days.

Cheers,

        - Joel