Re: List Unsubscribed Groups Matching a Pattern

From: bazad
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:05:11 -0700

Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

> bazad <nobody@noreply.not> writes:
>
>> So, may be experts can help me to configure my system.  Here are the
>> configuration parameters:
>
> The following should get you a complete list of groups in your
> .newsrc.eld
>
> Set all of gnus-read-active-file, gnus-save-killed-list, and
> gnus-check-new-newsgroups to t. If you want these `new' groups to be
> killed, set gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method to gnus-subscribe-killed,
> otherwise the default will probably be to make them zombies. If you
> are happy to have them as zombies, you don't need to set
> gnus-save-killed-list to t, but killing anything will cause it to
> vanish.
>
> Start gnus.
>
> Quit gnus.
>
> Verify that .newsrc.eld is now very large.

I followed the instructions above and it did not work.

I added the following text to my ~/.gnus.el file:

(setq gnus-read-active-file t)
(setq gnus-save-killed-list t)
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups t)

I saw that gnus spent some time loading active file from nntp server.
I also observed that it spent some time after the file got loaded.  If
.newsrc.eld is big and it takes a long time to proces it, when
application starts, I prefer a samller size.  I don't subscribe to
groups that much anymore.