Re: EasyPG for signing and en/decrypting Email

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: EasyPG for signing and en/decrypting Email
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 22:10:53 +0900

> Due to the lack of documentation on the matter I am trying to
> summarize/clarify a few things and when done, put it onto
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EasyPG so others will have an easier path
> to gettings things done with regards to signing and en/decrypting
> emails.

I'd appreciate someone could do that (though I don't like EmacsWiki).

Anyway, I'd suggest that you should know at least the overall concept
i.e. what is PGP/MIME, what is OpenPGP, and how Gnus handles them.

- PGP/MIME is a standard, which mml2015* implements using ep[ag]-*.

- OpenPGP is a standard, which ep[ag]-* implements.

Please note that PGP/MIME is a higher level concept of OpenPGP.

Also, you should know that "inline PGP" (which epa-mail-* implements) is
a different format from PGP/MIME:
http://josefsson.org/inline-openpgp-considered-harmful.html

> The other day we had another thread which contained this message of
> Thierry

>  Thierry> if you call `epa-mail-sign' with a prefix arg, you will have
>  Thierry> an interface to choose your key.

This is not appropriate if you use PGP/MIME because epa-mail-* commands
are for "inline PGP".

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno