Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:18:53 -0700

On 12-08-06 05:33 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Supported by the fact that your beta/alpha users (and release users?
must be a typo?) will only have access to the source code if they pay
you extra. That's not how free software works, I'm sorry to break it
to you.

I've got to have some kinds of incentives to raise money!  I'm going
with a limited release model of both object and source - can't quite see
releasing to the world until I've gone through a couple of revs.  Of
course, with a GPL, anybody who gets the alpha or beta code will be free
to redistribute.

If you're ignoring users' digital freedom simply because you want to make money, take your advertising somewhere else, because this is clearly not the place for it. I'm sure there are a lot of free software mailing lists where people straight up wouldn't care, but this is not one of them.

Of course, maybe I've misunderstood the purpose of this list. If so, I invite dissent!

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation