Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:55:32 -0700

Since the code will be GPLd (or other open source license) it is freely
re-distributable.  It's just that WE won't be re-distributing it openly
until we get to a reasonably shaken down release 1.0.

OK, you clearly don't understand this.

If you're selling software to people for price X, but not giving them the source code, that's _not_ the GPL. That's something totally different. Basically, you're charging them extra for the GPL, and selling the poor people the non-free version.

Maybe that's cool in your mind, but hereabouts, we prefer to give people freedom, even if it means working around what might once have been a good business model, but is clearly not anymore.

So once again, I'll ask you to either give your users freedom or get out.

As for alternatives, split the difference between the two options (binary and source code) and combine them to be one unified software option, that actually *will be* GPL.

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation