Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux

From: Steven Hamilton
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 12:34:31 +1000

I see a lot of discussion about the lack of AAA Free Software titles
and how to fund game development but nothing about the actual problem.
Steam itself. AAA free titles aren't going to happen and they aren't
needed. Indie developers rule the gaming world these days. It's these
guys that need courted. AAA developers are never going to be convinced
to give up source code. Indie devs can be.

The lack of games isn't a problem either. There are tons of free
software, hobby developed games out there. The real problem is the
incursion of a proprietary distribution platform for GNU/Linux that is
very very attractive to the Indie development community and is
ultimately going to become the central hub for distribution for games
in our platform. This WILL happen so we must have a plan to react to it.