Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux

From: Zygo Blaxell
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 17:03:53 -0500

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:36:06AM -0800, Jason Self wrote:
> > A long standing, highly respected PC gaming company.
> > Proprietary
> > DRM protections
> > Limits play to only those machines authorised by Steam.
> > DRM scheme is widely regarded as "good" by PC gamers

The "good" part of the DRM scheme is that it's built into a hosting,
distribution and communications framework.  OK, so that's really nothing
to do with the DRM at all, but some users often conflate the two as
they are (thanks to the DRM) utterly inseparable.

Compared with _other_ game DRM schemes, Steam is very liberal in what
it permits.

Games associated with your Steam account can be distributed on demand
to any machine you log into.  I understand there are also various services
for messaging (during and between games) and comparing high scores with
your peers, although I haven't bothered much with those.

The non-DRM parts of the Steam framework are well worth replicating
as free software, and game developers expect services like these to be
available when they choose a target platform.  Leave out the DRM and add a
"fetch source for this game" button.

> Why is any of this tolerated?

Games are not important, and computers are cheap and available enough
to dedicate an entire disposable machine exclusively to playing them.