Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 00:03:29 -0400

Logan Streondj <streondj@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 05:27:18PM -0400, Yoni Rabkin wrote:
>> Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> writes:
>>
>> > Why the incredible desire to use existing source code? Why not use the
>> > wasted time and efforts spent arguing about this reverse engineering
>> > your software and just be done with it. …
>>
>> Because works of personal opinion are different than useful software.
>>
>> --
>>    "Cut your own wood and it will warm you twice"
>
> works of personal opinion can be software with a speakable
> programming language. :-D
>
> In fact, works of opinion are used to program humans,
> which have more processing power than at least most computers,
> possibly than any computer thus far created.
>
> So in a way you could say, works of opinion, are extremely
> powerful pieces of software.

I license my own blog under CC-BY-SA but I don't see, so far, a concrete
problem with the FSF licensing essays on the site with ND.

I think that a powerful argument would be if someone created something
real: the GCC of essays if you will. Then point the FSF at that and say:
"See, this wonderful thing is what you are not allowing me to
release. Please change the the ND license on those essays so that the
whole free software community can benefit from my work."

But I don't know what that would be. If I did, then I would probably
appreciate the point being made about why ND is bad in this context.