Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 10:36:16 -0500

I have repeatedly pointed to software owner's attempts to smear and
misrepresent free software advocates and said that this is a good reason to
have ND.  It gives us the power to take down the most offensive
misrepresentations of opinion.  Yes, there are many other ways software
owners lie and confuse people about free software but having this one power
is helpful.  Current law also does nothing to prevent that fraud.  People
have argued that things will work out better over all if we could provide
modified works of opinion, but no one has shown me any studdies that prove
it.

I don't think removing unintentional pauses, changing camera angles, or
providing a good faith transcript are violations of ND terms.

Fair use should cover quotes well enough so that this is not an issue.  There
are many RMS quote collections, for example.  I don't think anyone will
request those are taken down.