Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: Logan Streondj
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 05:23:14 -0400

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 12:15:42AM -0500, Will Hill wrote:
> I suppose the easiest way to demonstrate the misrepresentation is to ask an
> IT
> person about the FSF.  If you can't remember your own surprise on first
> reading actual GNU and FSF material,

It was over a decade ago.

> you will probably be surprised by the
> average IT person's skewed perceptions.  They are likely to tell you some
> confused things about "Open Source", "freeware", "hobbiest", etc.

don't know any such IT people.

> The
> general public is even less well informed.  The last thing you might hear is
> a clear understanding of the power non free software has over users and what
> it takes to undo that.

I have met people who didn't know about Linux and Libreware,
generally those who aren't particularly computer literate.

> This problem of misrepresentation is not unique to free software.  Rich and
> powerful people devote significant resources to confusing the public about
> all sorts of things.

that sounds like a conspiracy theory, and not very relevant.
the only pseudo-relevant "rich people" here would be Microsoft.
so far, haven't seen any other examples.