Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What is ThinkPenguin?

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What is ThinkPenguin?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 10:17:23 +0300

On 27/05/16 02:51, Adam Bolte wrote:
I brought the dual-band + bluetooth 4.0 M.2 card from them. The wifi
was free software compatible, but the Bluetooth component required
blobs to function - which had to be extracted from Windows drivers due
to licensing issues. I believe this was the card:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/wireless-n-dual-band-bluetooth-40-m2-ngff-combo-card

This is despite the advertisement "Not dependent on NDISWrapper,
binary blobs, or proprietary drivers-firmware".

Thanks for first-hand information. There is indeed no firmware available (not speaking of free but even no legally redistributable!) for AR9462 that works with Bluetooth. At least, I believe that if there were one, it would be certainly included in Linux® (vanilla) along with many others non-free firmwares, but it is not [0].

I’m pretty curious, how did thinkpenguin.com explain themselves when you asked them?

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1394368